Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Cute Kitten & Dinner

Tonight I had dinner again at the restaurant with the cute little orange kitten. The restaurant is owned by my Korean co-workers' mother-in-law. It's a little hole in the wall with an old-fashioned wood stove in the center used to heat the place and cook on. The owner and her sister have taken me in and have been so nice to me. They're starting to feel a little like my Korean family away from home. It's the fourth time I've eaten at their restaurant and every time I eat there, they won't let me pay. Tonight they treated me with bulgogi (beef), eggs, and all the traditional side dishes. After dinner, the owner brought me out some oranges for dessert and some to take home with me. They don't speak a single word of English, but the kindness and generosity they've shown me is far more valuable than words.

The kitten was off the leash tonight, running around, playing all over the restaurant. It was playing with a soju cap, sliding it all over the floor. It would run over to me, smack my hand and sprint off. The restaurant was empty most of the night. Towards the end of the night, two men came in to eat and were curious about me since I'm one of 5 or 6 foreigners in town. My coworker had to translate our conversations about where I'm from, why I'm here and how I like Korea. We sat at the restaurant tonight, laughing at the kitten, talking and watching Korean television for hours.


Tuckered out from playing

No comments:

Post a Comment